My pal Matt says it all. "Unprocessed" October is a misnomer. I'm eating all kinds of processed foods, like tortilla chips and honey (but not together) (but I might). I like to think of it as Whole foods October, with a little "f" in foods to keep it from sounding like I'm advocating a particular grocery chain. For the record, I haven't set foot in that place since starting this experiment. You can buys whole foods at Kroger, you know.
One of the reasons I decided to take on this challenge is because I knew I was doing too much mindless eating and making excuses to eat dumb stuff that I knew wasn't good for me. And the challenge is working. I'm not sampling baked goods in the office kitchen (you know, just to be polite), I'm not eating white rice just because it's in the rice cooker, and I'm not putting sugar in my coffee just because it's easier than buying a bottle of honey to keep at work. Oh, and I'm not eating out just because I'm too lazy to prepare something for myself.
Today at lunch a colleague asked if I felt any different -- like if I was sleeping better or felt more focused or something like that. I replied that I thought I was sleeping better but it still felt too early to tell. I've been thinking about that question all day, though, and I will say I am getting more comfortable with notion of not feeling full. It's hard to get that "stuffed"feeling when you're mostly eating vegetables and whole grains. You end up just feeling nourished and not much else. And I think I'm sleeping better because I stop eating earlier in the evening.
Food choices for today:
Breakfast: Steel cut oatmeal with honey and a fried egg
Coffee with honey and milk (like three cups)
Black bean and sweet potato tacos (yum!)
Cashew Cookie Lara Bar
Vegetable Chili
If the bread I bought last week is still edible, I might make myself an open faced sunflower seed butter and honey sandwich to close out the night. While I watch Terminator 2, because (confession time) I, um, haven't seen it. And I think I need to see it to be able to fully appreciate a performance of Terminator the 2nd on Monday night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(27)
-
▼
October
(12)
- Another Lost Weekend! (kind of)
- Cheater cheater, pizza eater.
- I just scarfed two pieces of pizza.
- Whole foods October
- Day o' veggies
- The First Lost Weekend
- Friday Night Cheater
- Goosefoot superfood
- Food confessional
- New hobby: label reading
- I'm craving a grilled cheese on Sourdough like what.
- Unprocessed October
-
▼
October
(12)
2 comments:
So much to say about this post! First of all, when I went to my doctor and he told me to lose ten pounds, his advice was, "Don't eat until you're full. Eat until you're not hungry." That was good advice, even though I thought it sounded dumb at the time. It takes your brain a few minutes to registers fullness anyway, so if you stop when you're just "not hungry," you seem to wind up full anyway. At least, that's what I've found.
I think I'm sleeping really well right now too, but I'm not sure if it's related or not.
Now, questions:
1. Was that chili good?
2. You did watch Terminator before watching Terminator 2, right?
Glad to hear you're sleeping well, too! The one other cool effect of all this is that I can wear my favorite jeans without feeling like I'm suffocating :) I doubt I've really lost weight or anything, but I'm eating lighter and my body feels better for it.
Answers:
1. The chili was okay, but I didn't realize I was low on chili powder until it was too late. I was also short on tomatoes, and I do wish I'd added a can of pumpkin to thicken it up a bit, but the recipe is a good one. So easy.
2. I was in a bit of a time crunch (I'm heading out of town tomorrow), so I read the Wikipedia page for Terminator and got a crash course from Neil. I've seen bits and pieces of T1 and T2 over the years but I just hadn't sat down to watch either start to finish.
Post a Comment