So, about that pizza…
Yesterday was a little rough on me. Part of it was my fault, as I stayed up way past my bedtime the night prior to watch Terminator 2. I studied it like I was going to be tested on plot, characters, symbolism, etc. It was actually pretty fun to approach a viewing that way. But it was also tiring. I didn't let myself sit on the couch for fear of nodding off, so instead I sat/lay on the hardwood floor, sometimes kneading my back and leg muscles with my trusty foam roller (still working on some ailments) and sometimes using it under my neck as a sort of uncomfortable (read: non-sleep inducing) pillow.
Anyway, my alarm yesterday morning went off way too early for my liking. As I mentioned, this Unprocessed October business is helping me sleep more soundly, but that deep sleep means it's a lot harder to wake up in the morning. I felt like I had a T2 hangover.
I had an unprocessed breakfast of steel cut oats with honey and strawberries and a fried egg, did a little work at a coffee shop, then headed into the office for a meeting with a Cashew Cookie Lara Bar in hand. Lunch time rolled around, and since it was Wednesday, my (lovely, generous) company was treating us to pizza from one of my favorite pizza places in town. I did my best to avoid the kitchen where the pizza boxes were, and I settled in to my desk with leftover quinoa with Sicilian chick peas and kale (are you tired of me talking about this dish yet)?
Then I got a phone call from a customer and it was just plain tough. I'm still processing (heh, no pun intended) the experience and picking out things to learn from it, but in short, it was confrontational, uncomfortable and frustrating for all involved. It completely drained me, and before I left the office for a quiet night at home, I sat in the empty office kitchen gnawing on room temperature pizza and reading a waylaid Reader's Digest. Not pretty.
I know I shouldn't beat myself up over two pieces of pizza. But I would be way prouder of myself if I had a shitty day and *still* took care of myself by sticking to the Unprocessed challenge. I'm not proud of giving in to pizza yesterday, but I am proud of the fact that I put some thought into getting back on track today, even though I'm spending most of the day in airports.
This morning I woke up and had another delicious, hearty breakfast of steel cut oats (with honey and strawberries) and a fried egg. After a coffee meeting I reheated a small bowl of my vegetarian chili (which was way more tasty after sitting in the fridge for a day) and prepared some snacks for the airport:
+ Cashew Cookie Lara Bar (duh)
+ hard boiled egg
+ corn tortilla chips
+ apple
On the way to the airport I got a text alerting me that my flight was delayed, so Neil and I went to Frothy Monkey and I ordered the Royale, which is smoked turkey and swiss on multigrain. I am sure that sandwich wasn't completely made of whole foods, but Frothy has pretty high standards for its menu offerings and I trust it was close enough to meeting my parameters for Unprocessed October.
Lots o' delays in air travel today, which is kind of a bummer, but I'm Boston-bound to squeeze babies and enjoy fall in New England. If I could just get out of the Philly airport...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(27)
-
▼
October
(12)
- Another Lost Weekend! (kind of)
- Cheater cheater, pizza eater.
- I just scarfed two pieces of pizza.
- Whole foods October
- Day o' veggies
- The First Lost Weekend
- Friday Night Cheater
- Goosefoot superfood
- Food confessional
- New hobby: label reading
- I'm craving a grilled cheese on Sourdough like what.
- Unprocessed October
-
▼
October
(12)
No comments:
Post a Comment