Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Food confessional

Hey friends.

I woke up grouchy. My body was achy, I was hungry-but-not-hungry, and I didn't feel like facing the day. The morning at work flew by, and before I knew it was lunch time and I didn't have a plan.

Emma buys us lunch on Wednesdays (which is amazing when you think about it) and I was convinced I wouldn't be able to eat any of it. But I was running out of time before a 1:30 p.m. meeting, so I stepped into the kitchen at work and fixed myself a plate from the taco bar: rice, refried beans, chicken, lettuce and tomato. I ate standing up, and with every bite I was disappointed in myself for not knowing more about the food I was eating.

So I chimed in on the email thread my fellow participants in Unprocessed October have going...

I'm feeling really guilty about the rice because it had all this (presumably fake) flavoring on it. Is there some kind of #unprocessed confessional booth? Am I in it?

To which my co-worker Taylor replied:

I ATE A CHOCOLATE COVERED DRIED CHERRY AT WHOLE FOODS LAST NIGHT.

phew. I feel better now.

We can't be perfect. But we're talking about it, and I guess that's the whole point.

Food choices today:

Breakfast: Steel cut oatmeal with honey and sliced banana, and a scrambled egg

Snack: Lara Bar (Cashew Cookie, if you must know, and it has only *two* ingredients: cashews and dates)

Lunch: we already went over that #riceguilt

Snack: Chips and salsa from Trader Joe's (unprocessed!)

Dinner: Chicken breast and spaghetti squash with sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes and onions (basically a repeat of what I whipped up last night)




And now I'm off to drink some beer at pub quiz...

1 comment:

hootenannie said...

CASHEW COOKIE IS THE ONLY TWO INGREDIENT FOOD EVERRRRRRR.

At least, that I know of. That comes in a package. That isn't, like, raisins and peanuts together in a bag.