Neil and I are the road, headed toward Atlanta. We didn't have a trip planned, but we also didn't have plans for a weekend in Nashville. I actually only mentioned wanting to do a last-minute trip once on Wednesday, and by Thursday night when our friends were asking what we were going to be up to over the weekend, Neil was answering with, "Well, Emily wants to go to Atlanta..." It made me think we were finally experiencing that kind of telepathy Marshall & Lily have on How I Met Your Mother. If I had a list of life goals (and maybe I should?), that would be on it. Anyway, our friends couldn't have been more encouraging, and here we are. As I type this, we're heading down the mountain between Nashville and Chattanooga and the sun is setting, despite Neil's lyrical protests (Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me!). Road trips with Neil are my favorite. Even though he never lets me sleep and whines when I try to read a book (I'm surprised he's letting me take the time to hammer out a post tonight) and sometimes makes me quiz him with complicated multiplication problems, sitting next to him in a car is one of the best places I could ever hope to be.
Road rituals include:
+ A stop at Chick-fil-a and another at Starbucks
+ Giving Ginger one or two bites of bread from our (now spicy!) chicken sandwiches
+ Pointing out the Neko Case billboard on I-24 (yep, still there).
+ 60s sing-a-longs
+ Uninterrupted conversation. Just kidding. We interrupt each other but it's only for good reasons like to turn up the volume so we can belt out Elenore by the Turtles (Gee, I think you're swell).
Anyway, this weekend will be a great one to spend with fams, with Sunday being Dad Day and everything. It's also the first time seeing my big brother, sis-in-law and niece Mia since they all moved back to Marietta. Looking forward to seeing more of that kid and being the coolest Auntie Em there ever was.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(62)
-
▼
June
(30)
- Check and Check!
- Say hello to the people who care.
- Blog-lifting
- And by "favorite" you mean...?
- Subculture
- Must get to 30 posts by June 30.
- A little obsessed.
- Except I'm seriously mad.
- She bakes!
- This is Saturday.
- Out of order
- One or the other...
- Trying not to panic
- Reflections on a Dog Bite
- 22 miles to Nashville...
- Road Blogging
- Grey Area
- Travel plans thwarted.
- Observations: Zumba edition
- Also, there's giant rhino on the loose.
- Coffee Tables in my Headspace
- Saturday, Saturday.
- Do You Want to Know a Secret?
- Good morning, rain.
- Skillz
- Beauty over Bacteria
- Local adventure
- Just because it's been a while...
- Furniture that does stuff.
- Failing means things can only get better from here.
-
▼
June
(30)
No comments:
Post a Comment