The other night Neil and I were lying in bed and he said, "Bunny? Are you not going to be blonde anymore?"
He'd seen this post, in which I alluded to my desire to embrace my natural hair color. I go through this phase about once a year, where I get sick of the hassle of coloring my hair and I wonder why I shouldn't just be happy with my natural color. I mean, it's just natural, right? Except my natural color is a flat dirty blondish, light brownish color that I kind of hate. But back in the day my natural color was blonde with a reddish tone to it (thanks to my mom), and it got super blonde in the summer just from hanging out at the pool for three months straight. So what changed?
Oh yeah, I got older. And started spending my summers indoors.
I came across this blog called Box No. 216, and it's all about hair color. I kind of love the simplicity of the idea behind it. It's kind of like a tumblr I guess, in that it's just found pics of great hair color, with pithy descriptions of the color. The descriptions are my favorite part, maybe because I subscribe to the RSS feed so the posts display in a reader as just text in my list of unread items. I read the words, let a picture form in my head, and then open the post to see if the picture in my head matches the actual picture.
Geez, it sounds like my favorite thing about the blog is the game I made up in my head about it. Not true! I also like the idea of getting your hair color back to that natural hue that you rocked as a kid. And the sincere appreciation of grown out roots. I mean, this guy is obsessed with what he calls The Fade. It's totally changed the way I look at grown out hair color.
I got a little too crazy with the blonde highlights over the last year, and now the top layer of my hair is just yellow with a bunch of dark stuff underneath. It's been bothering me and taking up waaaaay too many of my thoughts, so it's time to nip it in the bud with an appointment at the salon this week. Here are a couple photos that I think capture what I'm aiming for, as this is the color my hair was at some point earlier in life...
Yeah, I know.

1 comment:
i think easing back into your natural color is a grand idea! the dirty blond with a little strawberry that we think is under the chemicals and winter somewhere will be oh so pretty. and i know i was super happy and relieved once i freed myself from the tyranny of color-treatments & root-worrying.
Post a Comment