I'm pretty sure I'm not leaving the house today. These last few days have been productive but exhausting, and I figure I need to rest up for my first day of work tomorrow. So far I've read in bed, talked to Neil, drank coffee, watched last week's Grey's Anatomy, showered, ate breakfast, sat outside, talked to my parents, booked a flight to Nashville for April and read a bunch of stuff on the internet, including this conversation between Anjelica Huston and Sofia Coppola, the only two women who are 3rd generation Oscar winners.
All the orientation materials from Facebook keep reminding me to "be my authentic self." So instead of thinking up ways to be impressive I'm trying to make myself think about who I really am. Here's a very short list of stray thoughts on the topic:
- I'm smart. And I really want to add a ", but..." after that, but I'll refrain.
- I'm a good listener.
- That said, I'm often so worried about acting normal in front of strangers that I forget to do things like listen when they tell me their first names.
- I make mistakes.
- I love helping people.
That last thought about helping people is probably the most connected to the work I'm about to start doing. I don't claim to know a lot about technology (just ask Neil, or anyone who has watched me use iTunes) or even a lot about the inner workings of social media, but I do have empathy and a desire to help make other people's lives easier. Here's hoping I can use that to help make a difference at Facebook.
No comments:
Post a Comment