Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My so-called blog post.

It's been a few days of no blogging, so forgive this lame post while I get back into the swing of things.

I hardly ever just come home from work and switch on the TV, but I wanted a little downtime before tackling my evening activities (namely creating dishes to bring to book club tomorrow) so I switched on an ANTM rerun. I was immediately horrified by the commercials I saw, all in a row.

+ An ad for cat food called Appetizers. That's right, appetizers for cats. I couldn't find a video of the commercial itself, but I found this pretty amusing "video review" by a woman who clearly just woke up and didn't feel the need to put on a bra.

+ Next up, a commercial for Chef Michael's dog food with "crunchy garnishes." Dogs don't need garnishes! They're dogs! I know Neil would disagree and tell me dogs need garnishes. We could bicker about it for hours.

+ Finally, CLAIRE DANES tried to sell me Latisse. This one grossed me out the most. Latisse is dumb enough as is. I'm pretty sure it was stumbled upon in a lab, or at least I certainly hope so. If real scientists set out to find a miracle drug that makes eyelashes longer when they should've been curing cancer, then something is really wrong with NIH. All that aside...oh, Claire. Oh, Angela. I think these two quotes via EW.com sum it all up:

“I bet people can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it’s been medically proven.” –Angela Chase, My So-Called Life, 1994

“Grow your own lashes with Latisse! From Allergen, a company with 60 years of eye care experience.” –Claire Danes, commercial, 2010

Times have changed. I feel old and curmudgeon-y for missing the old Claire and for poo-pooing TV. I love TV. Even commercials. Ask anyone.

No comments: