Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A pre-Blogger blog.

If my math is correct, this was six years ago today. But it really feels like 100 lives ago.

I'm more awake than I'd like to be, thanks to a 6:00 p.m. Sonic run for Cokes with the good ice. This impending thunder storm/possible tornado isn't bringing on the Z's either. So here I am.

Neil's been in Vegas this week, but we managed to have a really fun weekend before he left town. Friday night we hosted a pizza party for our friends to welcome back Matt and Emily Rose. They left Nashville to volunteer in India back in January, but now they're back in the US and about to start a new chapter in San Francisco. Neil and I bought our house when Matt and ER lived just around the corner. If we're really honest with ourselves, it played a role in picking this neighborhood. They were the people who checked in on Ginger, kept our spare house key and baked us brownies when we had rough days. You just can't ask for better neighbors, and I will miss them terribly.

On Saturday Neil participated in the Ravenchase downtown. In fact, his team won the whole thing, and we have the golden rooster trophy to prove it. I went to FEASTival in East Nashville, and then headed to a friend's house for afternoon sangria and conversation. When Neil and I reunited, we decided to go to the roller derby, but it was already late and the parking gods were against us. After driving around downtown in futility and with no gas in the tank, we ditched our plan and met up with the Corrs for more East Nashville fun.

Neil and I got up early Sunday so he could catch his flight, and I spent the morning with my dearest Heather at Ugly Mugs (I'm sensing an East Nash-y theme here). I love a Sunday au lait made with Cafe du Monde chickory goodness, and Ugly Mugs never disappoints. After a long visit I grocery shopped, did laundry, and dozed on the couch. A perfect end to a pretty damn good weekend.

As far as I know, Neil and I are fancy-free this weekend, which normally would feel glorious. Under normal circumstances, I'd do yard work, we go for walks with Ginger, I might even try my hand at jogging. But the DAMN CICADAS are keeping me from feeling any kind of normal. I know everyone in Nashville is in the same boat, and most people are functioning just fine. Not me. My nerves are fried and I feel scared to open the back door, even to just let Ginger out. My number one priority is ensuring a cicada doesn't make its way into the house. That can't happen. It can't. So hopefully we'll find some fun indoor activities to keep my mind off of things. Or maybe it'll rain all weekend. Speaking of...


Here it comes.

No comments: