Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sweet, sweet progress.

It's happening, people. I am thisclose to having a place to put all my clothes. Yesterday, the Ikea boxes arrived via ModernNash around 3:30 p.m. Now, Neil and I had been up since around 7:30, so I don't think either one of us was in the mood to delve into furniture assembly, but the boxes were BIG and I think we both knew if we waited even one day, those boxes would sit there until we were ready to move again. So we fueled up on some leftover spaghetti and got to work. I tried to document along the way (sorry for the poor camera phone quality - I think you can click on the pics to make them bigger).


Our biggest concern was the height of our ceiling, because although we knew the finished product wouldn't be a problem, it turns out you need a little extra headroom in order to assemble the frame on the floor and lift it up after all the pieces are in place. Thankfully, we had just enough space - I can't imagine how differently our evening would have gone had we assembled it vertically. I'd probably be too sore to type this blog post today, and Neil and I would no longer be speaking.

By the time we framed out the first wardrobe, we felt like Ikea pros. The second wardrobe was a snap to get up. Next, we built the Malm chest of drawers (which is just about the only piece of Ikea furniture narrow enough to fit in the little bit of wall space we had left). Yes, it's a different finish from the wardrobe frames, but once we put up the birch doors it will all come together.


I know I joke a lot about Neil and I arguing, but the truth is, we're a pretty good team. We had good attitudes throughout the whole building process. Well, I lost a little steam toward the end of the dresser assembly and struggled with those tiny, tiny screws that make me want to lose my mind. Neil just looked at me and said, "I believe in you."

I love him.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Congrats! It looks great, and if you can put together that much furniture in one day and not kill anyone, you're a winner in my book.